Please read this first...

If you want to know what I'm on about in the shortest time then please read the introductory first post and my current action plan. Comments are very welcome. And if you like this blog, please tell a friend. Thanks!

Saturday 26 May 2007

Offline and on track

I mentioned that in order to reduce electricity consumption I was planning to decommission the server which I've been running at home for the past three years. With a bit of help from Iain and Google Mail, that's now been accomplished.

That's permanently removed a couple of power supplies from 24hr duty: a 45W (for the PowerBook G4 which was the server) and a 15W or so (for the D-Link router). During the day we'll still have the cable modem and the wireless base station running, but now these can also be switched off overnight or any time we're not using them and our email will still get through.

It's not a huge saving, I know. But along with switching to CF light bulbs and not over-filling the kettle it's still a small step in the right direction.

No comments: