Please read this first...

If you want to know what I'm on about in the shortest time then please read the introductory first post and my current action plan. Comments are very welcome. And if you like this blog, please tell a friend. Thanks!

Sunday 19 August 2007

Hard yakka in the rain. Glorious!

Since about lunch time today we've had fairly constant light rain. The BOM says about 10mm has fallen since 9AM. If I had my tanks installed that'd be about two thousand litres captured.

They're not installed yet, of course, but I'm working on it. Yesterday I ordered some crusher dust to use in completing the base for my tanks. I did some calculations and worked out I needed just a touch over one cubic meter of the stuff to form the base and ordered one and a half since it's better to have too much than too little in this kind of situation.

Today it arrived, all two tonnes or so of it dumped in our front yard. Caitlin (my almost-six year old daughter) and I spent a good couple of hours working in the rain to shift nearly half of it down to the end of the house and into the excavated area. We added more water using the hose (the rain was really very light) and I compacted it using a very simple but distinctly heavy tool borrowed from a neighbour. Square bit of metal with a long metal rod sticking up from the centre of it, lift it up, bang it down, hundreds of times.

It's so different to the kind of "work" I do during the week that I'm thoroughly enjoying myself... and thoroughly stuffed tonight. I can't show you a pic of the result because I didn't want to get the camera wet. But I'm very proud of the effort and of having persisted with it even in the rain. Not that I'm complaining about the rain of course.

In the next couple of days I'm hoping to do a final level and compact at that end of the house and finally get that tank into place where it's meant to be. Have a niggling concern that what with all the geometry changes due to choosing and siting the border bricks it's going to be a fraction too small. But hey... it's only more work to do.

No comments: