Please read this first...

If you want to know what I'm on about in the shortest time then please read the introductory first post and my current action plan. Comments are very welcome. And if you like this blog, please tell a friend. Thanks!

Sunday 22 July 2007

Bricks it is, then.

Besser blocks model 15.01, to be precise. 40cm long, 15cm wide, 20cm high. Six of them to a side on three sides, the fourth side being the edge of the concrete apron around the house. 18 per tank site, 36 blocks in all, delivered for $156.20. About the same price as the equivalent quantity of pine sleepers soaked in copper, chrome and arsenic.

They were delivered late yesterday and today I spent a few hours sculpting the trench in which the first six of them now sit. I say "sculpting" because below the turf in my back yard is a whole lot of very dense clay. Using my 150mm spade and a mini-mattock I carved out a surprisingly neat rectangular slot. The blocks went in with a little clay soil packed into the slight gaps along the long sides. The goal is to build a nice rigid wall that will hold a base of crusher dust firmly in place beneath a five tonne water tank. The clay is so solid I'll probably not use any additional concrete to bed the blocks as I had planned.



If it takes a few hours to get one side done, I have an awful lot of hard work remaining. It would have been so much easier just to pour two slabs of concrete - and probably cheaper given that I have a builder, an underground cable layer and a concreter as neighbours. Why the heck am I spending my weekends scratching about in the clay?

The primary environmental concern with concrete is the energy used in manufacturing cement. I read somewhere yesterday that 8% of the world's anthropogenic (man-made) greenhouse gas emissions result directly from the production and use of cement. Scary, if it it's true. But concrete is such a practical building material I can understand its appeal: even mixing by hand I could have poured two slabs in an afternoon, and they would easily outlast the tanks they'd be supporting.

In the end I compromised. I needed something heavy, strong and durable for the border; needed to prevent termite damage to my home; wasn't keen on the copper-chrome-arsenic approach. Pre-formed concrete bricks are going to do the job nicely, are non-toxic, and would probably be re-usable in the future if I ever had reason to take them out of the ground. I think it's an acceptable use of resources.

As added bonuses, I've had my kids out "working" with me, I've performed some much-needed physical exercise, and so long as it turns out OK I'll have the satisfaction of knowing I did it with my own hands.

No comments: