Please read this first...

If you want to know what I'm on about in the shortest time then please read the introductory first post and my current action plan. Comments are very welcome. And if you like this blog, please tell a friend. Thanks!

Monday 30 April 2007

That's enough to worry about for now

OK, so there you have my three major worries (global warming, peak oil and water) and a bit of explanation about why they're all so worrisome to me despite the best efforts of the optimists and the in-denials.

They're not the only things on my mind day in and day out but they have been powerful influences pushing me towards full-on depression, and from what I've read and observed I don't think I'm terribly unusual in that sense. Still I've managed - just - to keep my head above the water and I'd go so far as to say I may even have kindled a glimmer of hope that my kids might be living well in 2050 and beyond.

My kids: Joshua's too young to understand any of this but his sheer energy for life is infectious. Caitlin, though, has amazed me with her willingness to embrace the kinds of values and behaviours which if adopted broadly throughout the global community might just be sufficient to ensure the future of human civilisation.

In there I think are the makings of my hope. I'm drawing inspiration from others who show what can be done if we put our minds to it. I'm enjoying the challenge of changing my lifestyle and doing "my bit". And I'm loving the renewed feeling of purpose which has been missing for too long.

Soon I'm going to start sharing some of the things we're doing in our family to reduce our energy consumption, our dependence on oil, our water usage, our greenhouse emissions, our waste production and our contribution to a myriad other problems which threaten or at least diminish the quality of life on Earth.

But I'll also be 'fessing up to things which we aren't doing so well and things which don't turn out the way we'd hoped.

Now the initial flurry of "worries" is over look out for "brags" and "confessions" starting shortly. I also plan to keep posting about some of the issues as they develop, I'll be looking out for "hopes" to share whenever possible, and I'll introduce you to some of the other people who are helping to inform and inspire me.

Time for sleep here. Bye for now.

No comments: